Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tragedy Strikes... Yet Again.

Hello everyone,
This morning I woke up to find a page in my inbox sent to me by my good friend Laura.  I had already heard this story on the news a few days back, but wasn't aware of all the details, so thanks for that Laura :)

Basically, there was been another gay related suicide, this time ending in Tyler Clementi taking his own life by jumping off the George Washington Bridge after his roommate and one of the roommate's friends broadcasted Clementi having sex with another man live over the internet on two separate occasions.  You can read the full story here : Suicide Follows A Secret Webcast and/or watch the video below for more details.



This is definitely a reality check to many, including myself.  While homosexuality is said to be becoming more accepted, it becomes apparent that whatever advances we have made just aren't enough.  There are so many people out there that are being tormented day in and day out.  There are so many people out there who are afraid to be who they are.  This isn't okay!

I was just having this conversation the other night with my slightly homophobic grandmother, who in the same breath condemns me for my sexuality and claims to be for equal rights.  I sometimes wonder what the world would be like if the roles were reversed.  What if homosexuality was the "norm" and heterosexuals were the outcasts.  I am convinced that things would be different because to quote one of my favorite movies, "we mean you no harm".--Straight Jacket

I, of course, am not saying that all straight people torment gay people, please don't misunderstand me there.  The majority of my friends are straight people, and they are wonderful, but I feel that I may be one of the lucky ones.  I haven't really had to endure any hate crimes to speak of other than a spoonful of scrutiny.  My own mother gave me shaving tips when I came out!

The most important thing that I can express to everyone this morning is this... If you know a homosexual, open or closeted, be there for them.  Talk to them.  You don't have to agree with their lifestyle.  I just ask that you accept it.  If you don't show compassion for these people, they may be gone before you know it.

The simple gesture of reaching out a hand to those who are struggling can help prevent these tragedies such as with Tyler Clementi.

I would also like to dedicate the following song to those of you who feel scared, alone, sad, hurt, hopeless and over it.



Live, laugh, love yourself, and love others.  Life is too short not to.

Muah for now <3

No comments:

Post a Comment